**This group of students are in my honors geometry class. They are diverse in their gender as well as their learning styles. I try to "target" my low scoring students by placing them at the front, and yes, even though these students are in Honors Geometry, some still struggle.
According to the authors of our text, diversity is referred to as the differences in culture and language of a goupr of people. Chapter 3 mainly focuses on diversity in the cultural and linguistic aspects of a person or a group of people's way of life. When I took Needs for Diverse Learners last semester through the UAM School of Education program, I learned that diversity has many strands including but not limited to the following:
- religion
- race
- ethnicity
- culture
- socioeconomics
- gender
- disabilities
In my opinion, diversity is the collection/combination of characteristics that make a person unique.
Some of the strategies that I have been using in my classroom to try to include all types of learners are group discussions, group activities where they get to interact and learn from each other, through lectures and allowing students to go to the board to put their problems and answers up there as well as giving everyone an equal opportunity to display what they are learning, and, when times permits, I really like to do the one on one instruction method to really get on that particular student's level.

No comments:
Post a Comment